Do you want to change the Windows background image, for example, to insert your own photo in the background? Then read our instructions on how to do it.
Change Windows background image: quick variant
This tip works with Windows 7 to Windows 10. If you are using Windows 8 or 8.1, first switch to the desktop with the key combination [Windows – D].
- Open Windows Explorer by clicking on the small folder icon.
- Then open the Pictures folder under Libraries. Or you can open another folder that contains the wallpaper you want.
- Once you see the image icon, right-click on it and choose Set as desktop background.
- Shortly thereafter, the picture appears as a desktop background.
Windows 10: Change wallpaper in settings
In Windows 10, setting up a different background image is pretty quick.
- Right-click on an empty space on the desktop. Then choose Customize.
- Select one of the given images or click on Browse and choose your desired image for the background.
- As soon as you have found your desired picture, click on Select picture and you will have a new background picture.
Windows 7 and 8: Change background image in Settings
In Windows 7 and 8 you can also change the background via the settings.
- Right-click on an empty space on the desktop.
- Then select Customize and then Desktop Background.
- In the dialog window that appears, you will find a large number of ready-made background images, sorted by category.
- With a click on the small arrow down next to landscapes you can see the other available categories. Choose one of them and wait for a little. After a short moment, small preview images appear. Click on one of them and it will load as a background.
- If you want to include your own picture, click on Browse and choose your desired picture. Alternatively, click the list next to Image Path. Here Windows suggests locations where you can find more pictures.
- If you like the selected image, click Ok. If not, choose another one or click Cancel to return to the original image.
Windows XP: Own picture for the desktop background
You can also set your own background for Windows XP.
- Right-click on an empty part of your screen background (desktop).
Choose Properties and Desktop.
- Click on Browse and locate the folder and the desired picture. After clicking on Open the picture is shown in the preview.
- Click Ok to display the new image as a background.
- Note: The picture should be as close as possible to the size that corresponds to the resolution of your screen.